Sunday, February 28, 2010

Le Relais de Venise

Last Thursday began like any other day. But, then I checked my Yahoo email and saw a message from Michael asking if I wanted to go out. He was my #1 pick from the millionaire speed dating, so I was somewhat excited. After numerous emails back and forth throughout the day, we had a time and place - Le Relais de Venise at 6:30. I rushed home after work to shower and get ready. I wore a very spiffy outfit, complete with my relatively new H&M boxer briefs. I was feeling good.

I catch a cab to the restaurant (52nd and Lex) because I left too late to take the subway. I text him that I'm outside and he comes out to get me. He was cute, but dressed like an older guy who was trying to impress a younger guy - gold chain and shirt with the top three or four buttons undone. But, otherwise, everything was great.

The waitress came up and told us that the restaurant had a set menu, which was a new concept to me. They started us out with a walnut salad - very good and then served us beef with steak-frites - also very good. We had a bottle of white wine and then shared crème Brule for dessert. The meal was great and so was the conversation. We talked for hours. People came in, ate, got up and left and we were still there. We talked about work, funny stories, dirty stories (which was a little awkward), past relationships, current events, New York - it just went on and on (in a good way). We finally left the restaurant a little after 11:00 - that's over four hours of great conversation with only a few awkward moments.

It had started to rain as we left and we shared un umbrella and walked to the subway. He was going downtown and I was heading uptown. He did ask me if I was coming home with him. Um...No. I think my exact words were, "Not tonight. I'm a lady" - very Carrie Bradshaw. Finally we made it to the subway and he kissed me goodnight and followed up with a hug. It was kinda nice and kinda weird because this guy is my dad's age. Luckily, the uptown 6 was arriving so I had a reason to hurry off.

So, overall, it was a fantastic date. But, now the questions creep in. Could this be something? Is the age difference too weird? Could I take him to meet my parents? Would I want him to meet my parents? Am I just interested because I'm lonely?

I guess I'll wait and see if he wants to go on another date...

1 comment:

  1. Oh la la Rob. I'm glad I finally get some details! It was nice that you had a good time and it wasn't a rushed date...It's nice when you can just sit and enjoy a meal. I mean, only a few awkward moments over 4 hours? Pretty good ratio in my mind! Age is just a number and love isn't about numbers...Not that I'm saying it's love. Just go with it and the rest will fall in place (like the cliche, if it's meant to be it will be!). I'm just glad you had a good time <3

    ReplyDelete