Monday, February 22, 2010

Murphy's Law Dinner Party / Memory Lane

After a great afternoon of lunch and a play with this really great guy, I had to prepare for my first unofficial, not-too-fancy dinner party. Just like Charlotte's second wedding on Sex and the City, everything that could go wrong, did. I got to the grocery store to pick up everything I need. Of course, they are out of strawberries, so I had to buy frozen ones. After I got home, I realized that I bought one package of ground turkey and one package of ground breast of turkey. Who knew there was a difference? Then I realize that the dessert is supposed to take four hours to set - I had about 45 minutes. It wasn't my most beautiful layered strawberry cheesecake bowl, but it ended up tasting pretty good as did dinner. Even with all the setbacks, everything turned out fine.

The best part of the night was the company. Erin and Adisa are amazing! I like love them. If they were gay men, I would have trouble picking which one I'd like to marry. I love it when I meet people that I can just sit and talk with for hours. It's nice to have people in your life that are really chill and drama free and just real. We talked about college and crazy roommates and drunk adventures. It was a really nice trip down memory lane. After reliving my "experiences" with Demetrius, Cory and Shawna, I got a little sentimental.

Of course, there were some really dramatic times that I wouldn't want to relive, but there were some really great moments. I can't really pinpoint one specific moment - it's more of a general memory. I remember the cool summer nights with the crickets from the river. Those real relaxing nights where it felt amazing to leave the windows open. I don't really know why that memory popped up tonight. It made me a little sad. I can never go back to that time. I'll never sleep in a dorm again. I'll never have to get up for an 8:00 am class. I'll never give another RU tour. Those goofy late nights with Lora are over.

I can tell that this blog has gone in a direction that I hadn't anticipated. I started with the intention of writing a humorous, short entry about making dinner for my new friends. It ended up being me trying to capture the essence of what I miss about Radford. I guess the only thing I can do is remember the good times in the past and make way for the good times that lie ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment