Friday, May 14, 2010

Return to RU

It's been almost 12 months since I left Radford. I never really figured I'd go back. Most of my friends have graduated and moved on, so there's really no connection left. But, when I got the save-the-date for Julianna and Kevin's wedding I knew that I'd make the journey.

I'm so excited to go back! It'll be like my first vacation since I started at Sinai last July. I booked my flight, rental car and hotel. I've never flown by myself so I'm a little anxious. I mean, I've been to London, Paris, the Bahamas, Beijing and Shanghai, but I've never had to do everything solo. Oh well, I'm a big boy, I'll figure it out. The rental car was really a rip-off. They charged me $80 for the 3 days, which is a great deal. But, they then tell me that I'll have to pay an additional $25 per day because I'm under 25. Isn't that ageism? I'm staying at the Super8, which seems like the most ghetto hotel in Radford. Of course, I picked it because it's the cheapest. But, in summary, the arrangements are all finalized.

I can NOT wait to drive again and see the mountains and rivers of Southwest Virginia. I'm ready to slow down and just enjoy the scenery. New York is amazing, but it's so go, go, go. I'm always either going to work, the gym, shopping. I don't really ever just sit and relax. We have this gorgeous view from our balcony and I haven't sat and just enjoyed it...ever. I want to go to the New River after dark and hear the frogs. I want to open my hotel window and hear the crickets. I want to visit all my old spots (including Wal-Mart - oh Wal-Mart how I've missed you). Of course, the main attraction of the trip will be seeing all my RU BFFs. I am excited to see Cupcake and Hot Sauce again (Emily and Julianna). I can't wait to see Debbie in admissions and Debbie in NSP (Check it out!).

I get butterflies in my stomach when I think about it. It's going to be weird going back to the place that I spent 4 years of my life. It'll never be the same. I'll never sleep in the dorms again, make dinner in Highland Village, clock in at the bookstore, give a tour, or take an exam. It'll be weird to be in the same place physically, but in such a different place mentally.

It's going to be a great adventure and I can't wait for it to happen!

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited about you coming down. Less than a month now!!!!

    ReplyDelete