Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Friend of Dorothy

I always look back on people that remain in my life for a long time and try to recall what my impression was when I first met them. The hard about trying to remember is that I never really know who's going to be in my life for the long haul.

Davy is one person that I think is going to be around for a while and someone that I think is going to teach me a lot. He's one of the adoption reps for KittyKind where I volunteer on Sunday evenings. He's about 50, but he's as feisty as anyone I know. I could tell that he and I instantly had one thing in common so I think a friendship was inevitable. Now when I go to KittyKind, it's really more like hanging out with friends and volunteering.

He's so funny, but I also think he's got a lot to teach me. I really think it'd be good to have a mentor (in the least formal sense of the word). He's a huge fan of Judy Garland, who famously played Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. She is someone who I'm slowly becoming to appreciate and love. He's lent me books, DVDs, and CDs to better acquaint myself with her and other Broadway legends. The more I learn about Judy, the more I realize that the stories of Britney and Lindsay are far from original.

I think there is so much gay history that I don't know. I have so much to learn. I think it's going to be great to have an older friend who's lived and can really give me advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment