Saturday, October 2, 2010

Grindr

Social networking is a part of daily life for almost everyone. Grindr is an interesting new social networking tool. It's takes simple instant messaging and combines with GPS to create the ultimate hook-up tool. The program is designed for gay men to post pictures of themselves and see pictures of other uses near them. Imagine - seeing pictures of all guys just a few blocks away that want casual sex. It's both a marvel and despicable use of technology.

Now, I don't need nor do I want Grindr! I am so in love with Antonio and would never use my iPhone to find sex partners. But I thought I'd just see what all the fuss was about. From the minute I created my profile and upload my "after" picture, people were hitting me up. Mostly I'd get simple hellos or compliments about my body. After a few graphic messages, I realized that I didn't feel comfortable having this kind of app on my phone. It's so skeezy!

But, I got thinking about how addicting it was and flattering the compliments felt. Guys would tell me how they thought I was. I actually did have a brief conversation with one person. It was nothing but a very generic conversation. When he asked if I wanted to come over for sex, I told him that I had a boyfriend and wasn't interested. You know what his response was? He said, "Well, if you ever want to get fucked, just let me know." Um. Gross. But it also made me feel good. Why do random comments from perfect strangers make me feel good about myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment