Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Wisteria Lane

On this season of Desperate Housewives, Mike and Susan have had to move out of their beautiful house on Wisteria lane because they couldn't afford it. Now, they are living in a small apartment nearby while they save up enough money to move back. Originally, I didn't like that storyline. Now, that storyline is my life.

It's clear that Spencer and I can't live together. My plan was to find a cute, little studio on the Upper East Side and live alone. That plan pretty much feel through when I saw the type of apartment I could afford - a tiny, little crack house on 125th Street. Michele suggested that I move back in with her and Kasey while I looked for a place, paid off my massive credit card bills, and saved some money. To say that I didn't like the idea would be an understatement.

The thought of leaving New York, the gym, Antonio, my life was just too much. I instantly dismissed the idea. But then I thought about it again and I began to realize that it's the smartest option. I'm still going to be working in the city and going to the gym after work. I'll still be able to see Antonio on weekends and spend the nights there with him. The only thing that is going to change is where I sleep at night. With about $6600 in credit card debt, it'd be impossible (or nearly impossible) for me to dig my way out while putting almost my entire paycheck towards other bills. I'd be living paycheck to paycheck forever.

So the plan is as follows. Spencer is going to have his new roommate take over the lease, pay me $2000 and I'm going to move back to New Jersey for 3-4 months. It's a temporary set-back. I kinda feel like I failed because I can't do it on my own. But then I also think that sometimes the real failure would be to let pride and foolishness ruin (or at least dampen) a bright future. It's not ideal, but this is going to be breather, little vacation in the country and a fresh start.

By spring, I will be in much better shape and ready to come back home to Manhattan, my Wisteria Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment