Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween 2010

I hadn't really participated in Halloween in years. I remember that I went to a haunted house in SoHo last year with Katherine and Claudia, but we weren't dressed up. I think the last time I had dressed up was when I was a freshman in college. I thought that this year was going to be like all the rest, but Antonio's friends were all dressing up so we had to also. We were running around yesterday afternoon to find the perfect soldier costumes. It was surprisingly easy! We found tight, camo pants at an army supply store. The store was crazy! You would think that it was Niemen Marcus by the way the European tourists were tying things on. And a lot of the staff were trying to advise us on what we needed. I'm thinking, "Um. We're not really going to war. We're going to a gay club! I think whatever you have will be fine." I got shirts and boots in Harlem and spent way too much! Lesson learned - it's a bad idea to max out a credit card for a pair of boots you'll wear once.

Anyway, our costumes looked amazing so it was all worth it! Juan was dressed as an old school football player and Suzanna was Charlie Chaplin. There was a little confusion about her costume. A lot of people thought she was Hitler. Yeah, she was basically Pam from the Office when she dressed as Chaplin / Hitler. But Suzanna had the cane and walk down perfectly, so I think most people figured it out. Joey and Hannah were pirates and Hannah really went all out. We didn't want to take away from the costume so we didn't wear jackets, just pants and tank tops

We had a really good time! We hung out at a bar in the East Village, then went to a Ukrainian diner because we were all starving and then we finished the night at Splash! Here's a hint - dancing and grinding in army pants and combat boots is exhausting. Next year I'm going bootie shorts and shoes, that's it! It was funny because it was so hot inside and yet freezing outside.

The best part of the night was all the comments we got. We could overhear people talking about how cute we were and how they loved our costumes. I had really wanted to do the soldier thing to bring a little political awareness to the night. I may not go trick-or-treating anymore (way too many calories), but last night was definitely a Halloween treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment