Sunday, August 2, 2009

Apartment Hunt: #1

Um...no. I saw an ad for a two bedroom apartment on 73rd street, which is a great location. I emailed the guy and he called me to set up an appointment to see the room. I was excited and kinda nervous. I've lived with roommates before, but I knew them pretty well. So, I go into the city on my day off, take the subway to 77th and then walk to 73th and 1st.

The street was BEAUTIFUL. It was quite, clean and lined with trees. The front of the building was pretty nice. Then I got buzzed in the front door and it was pretty much downhill from there. The hallway was so narrow. Luckily, I'm pretty thin because I fat person would not fit in this building. I walk to the 4th floor on tiny, narrow stairs. The guy opens the door and meets me. He was really cute, even though he was probably mid-thirties.

I walk through the front door into the kitchen and what do I see? A shower! Yes, in addition to a small stove and refrigerator, there was a shower stall in the kitchen. Then I see the "bedroom," which was really nothing more than a small full bed next to a wall. One wall does not a room make. Essentially, you walk through the one "bedroom" to get to the other and then you have to walk through both to get to the bathroom. The "bathroom" was a small room with a toilet. In order to flush, you had to pull a cord from the ceiling. Is this an apartment or a Saudi prison?

The living room was gorgeous. It had two big windows, high ceilings, and nice furniture. The guy who would be my roommate was really nice and would have been a perfect roommate. He is a flight attendant, so he's constantly traveling. However, that really isn't enough of a perk to shell out $2400 to move in. It would be perfect if it was just me or me and a boyfriend, but for two strangers, it just wouldn't work.

I took some pics and thought about it for a few blocks. Then I realized I'd be an idiot to settle. I was feeling really down. I know it is naive to think that I'd find a fantastic apartment the first time I looked, but I'm so ready to move into the city. I'm ready to have my space that is mine. I'm read for a place to put all my stuff. I'm ready to start the life that I have pictured in my mind.

Well, Carrie and Big had to look at 33 crappy apartments before they found heaven on 5th. I'm sure I've got many more hilariously crappy apartments to go before I find "the one".

No comments:

Post a Comment