Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Big Move

So, Sunday was the big day. I finally moved into my new apartment in New York. The day started badly - I realized that I wasn't going to be able to fit everything in my car. I had no intention of making one trip and then waiting a week and making another trip the following weekend. So, I made two trips into and out of the city that day. The GPS was messed up when I went into the city the first time. It sent me to Brooklyn. I was making all these turns and then it tells me that I'm arriving at my destination. Um...No. This is a crappy street in Brooklyn. No.

But, the rest of the day went smoothly. Ari and I unpacked all the kitchen stuff (including my Tervis Tumblers from the RU bookstore). Then I went back to NJ and go my clothes and bedding. I took the Lincoln tunnel into the city, which put me downtown on the West side. I live uptown and on the Upper East Side. I had to drive past 5th Avenue and Madison, which was under construction, so it took forever.

Finally, everything was in boxes in my room. But, I still had to drive back to NJ to leave my car there. So I get back to NJ at 10:00 and wait until 11:00 for Kasey to take me to the train station. I had to wait until 12:15 for the next train. I was the only person on the platform until an older Korean man sat next to me and started talking. At first it was nice to have a conversation with him. But, after a while I was over it. He kept talking and talking and talking. Then he sat next to me on the train and kept talking. I could not have made it more obvious that I was tired and wanted to sleep until we got to NYC. But he actually woke me up to keep talking. Ugh. Then he asked for my phone number and email address so that I could help tutor Korean people...or something. I tried to tune him out so I wasn't really paying attention.

The first night in New York was okay. I slept on the floor because I was so tired and sweaty and gross that I didn't feel like setting up my air mattress. Now that I've got my mattress inflated (kinda ghetto, I know) and almost everything unpacked, it's starting to feel like home. The next thing I need is an A/C unit because my room is HOT...and I don't just mean when I'm sleeping in my boxer briefs...I mean it is HOT, like 80 degrees HOT. I'm going tonight to pick one up and I don't care how much they cost. I am not going home without an A/C unit.

I do miss Michele and Kasey. We laughed and had so much fun. But, I know I'll visit and do the holidays there.Well, now that I've got a new home things are looking up. Now I can start exploring the city without worrying about catching a train to NJ.

Well, now the real adventure begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment