Sunday, August 23, 2009

Full Disclosure

When I started looking for an apartment, I generally sent the person looking for a roommate a brief description of myself. I'd tell them what I do for a living, what I like to do for fun, etc. I also told them that I was gay. I'd usually explain that I'm not that obvious unless I'm around friends or people around whom I feel comfortable.

I didn't think much about it. But now, I'm starting to meet people who are interested in the other bedroom in our apartment. I met with this guy tonight. He seemed nice - very type A and very guys' guy. We went to White Castle for burgers and talked about our lives. I definitely dropped some hints - I told him I'm seeing Britney Spears on Wednesday, but I didn't feel comfortable telling him I was gay.

In my opinion, it really shouldn't matter. Of course, in a perfect world everyone would accept others' differences. But, I'm not living in a perfect world - I live in New York. But even still, why should what I do in my room be a deal-breaker for someone who might want to move in? Since I'm not seeing anyone right now, there's no awkward sex while the roommates are home situations. Right now, the gayest things going on in my room are Sex and the City marathons and the Queer As Folk DVDs sitting on my shelf.

With the guy I met tonight, I felt like I had to tell him. I felt like it was a drawback and I needed to warn him. I would rather tell someone and have them not be comfortable with it and not move in, rather than let someone move in and then find out and live in awkwardness. I can understand if I were blind, deaf, or in a wheelchair. Those would be situations where my roommates would have to make certain accomodations. Um....being gay isn't a disability. I don't need...no, strike that...I don't want to be treated any differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment