Monday, August 10, 2009

My Impromptu Trip To Yonkers

To start, I'll bring you up to speed. I went into the city to look at an apartment and then take a second look at the apartment that I had seen and loved last week. The one apartment wasn't too great, but the one that I was really interested was perfect, even thought I got the smaller room. Ari and I talked for at least an hour on the balcony and watched the sun set. By 9:00 I had to go and start my long trip back to NJ.

I called my dad and talked with him until I got to the bus stop on Madison near Mount Sinai. I didn't have to wait long. My metro card didn't work when I got on the bus, which is weird because I have an unlimited card, but the driver was nice enough to let me ride anyway. I didn't really even need to take the bus, but I didn't feel like walking 7 blocks through Harlem to the subway. I kind of zoned out - it'd been a long day. I, eventually, realized that we didn't turn onto Central Park North. I was kinda concered, but figured that they were stopping a little higher up since it was late. No. We didn't stop. We didn't stop at 125th street. We didn't stop at 149th street. Shit. This is when I realize that this is an express bus. Fuck.

We didn't make any stops in Manhattan. I realized I was in trouble when I didn't see tall buildings, taxis or anything familiar. I guessed that we were heading to the Bronx and then I could just turn around. No. We were not going TO the Bronx. We were going THROUGH the Bronx. I don't get stressed out too badly, but I was starting to freak out. I had little cash and was sooooo far from where I needed to be. Michele was traveling and Kasey is Ohio - so it was all up to me. Sink or swim.Eventually, I asked the driver how to get back to Manhattan. He told me to go under a bridge and take the M20 to Woodlawn and then take the 4 through the Bronx. Okay. I've got a plan.

I had to go to a gas station to get quarters because the bus only accepts coins or metro cards (ps: a very inefficient system). I ask for direction again just to make sure everyone is telling me the same thing. The guy tells me to take the M20 and then the subway, which is the same thing that the driver said. But, he added that taking the M20 would take me TO the Bronx. "Um...I'm not in the Bronx?" I asked. No, I was in Yonkers. It must have looked so stupid.

I get to the bus stop and there was this old lady sitting there. She started talking to me about how she had to work late at Burger King. I read her nametag - her name was Nazire. She has a thick Eastern European accent. In my mind, I decided she was from Ukraine. I figured she was crazy. But, she seemed nice and I wanted to talk to somebody...anybody. We had a good conversation and she told me how to get back to Manhattan. She made me promise that I would take a cab if I got lost. So many cars past, but no buses. Then...a bus came. Hallelujah! It was an express bus. It could take me from Yonkers straight to Manhattan down 5th Avenue. But, since it was an express bus, it was more money and I didn't have enough quarters.

Eventually the M20 came and we both go on. We sat together and talked a little more and I complimented her on the blanket she was crocheing. 15 minutes later we get to the station and both get off. I thanked her and she shook my hand. To me, that wasn't good enough. I gave her a hug and told her she was my angel. The subway was pretty standard, but it had way more stops than I'm used to because we went though the Bronx and then into Manhattan.

I walked about 8 blocks to the train station, which looked like heaven when I saw it. I felt like everything was okay because I was in familiar territory. I get to NJ Transit only to find that I have to wait 45 minutes for the next train, which was a local train and made a dozen stops before Princeton Junction. And there was a Yankees game and the fans were crazy. They were yelling and screaming. "Fuck this," and "Boston sucks" were common phrases on the train.

The whole time I'm worried about Bogey because he had been alone so long (of course he did pee and poop on the carpet, but it wasn't his fault). I worried about my car because I didn't have much gas and all the gas stations were closed because the attendant has to pump your gas in NJ. I am still worried that I'm going to be a zombie tomorrow. It's 3:07 and I've got to get up at 4:45. But, of course, now I'm not tired.

It was a crazy night! One small mistake turned into an extra 2 hours to my trip. But, in the end, it all worked out. I'm safe in my bed. I was fortunate to meet Nazire, my Ukranian angel. So. That is the story of my impromptu trip to Yonkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment