Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Groceries

There are a lot of misconceptions about New York. Everything thinks it's dirty and loud and expensive. From my limited experience, I haven't found any of those things to be true. Sure, the streets will be dirty in the morning before they pick up the trash or one the weekends when people party. But, the same could be said for Radford. It isn't any louder than Light Side is on a Friday night. In Central Park or at night, the streets are actually pretty quite. I was walking back from the train station on Sunday night and actually noticed how quite Time Square was and how there weren't any people.

Another misconception is that food is uber expensive. Sure, if you go to the Food Emporium where they all the fancy organic food it will be expensive. But, I went to the Associated last night for groceries. They had all the brands I like and it wasn't overly expensive. The eggs were $1.79, the half gallon of OJ was $2.99 and whole wheat bread was 2 for $5.00. I was really surprised. The aisles were really small, but oh well. Ari and I have a collapsible shopping buggy in our apartment. I took it with me and then pushed all my groceries back to my apartment. And the grocery store is only 2 blocks away so it's convenient.

This is another big check mark on my list of things to do in order to get used to NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment